th-1

How many billionaires does it take to change a light  bulb?

None.  Billionaires don’t change light bulbs.  What a stupid question.  UP@NIGHT apologizes.

Here’s a much better question.  How many billionaires does it take to match the wealth of half of the planet’s population?

Answer:  80.  The number has been dropping rapidly in the past few years, from 388 in 2010 to only 80 in 2014.  The concentration of wealth marches on.

24E4626500000578-2919540-image-a-37_1421824218010

This chart is from Oxfam’s report, “Wealth: Having It All and Wanting More.”  According to the same report, 1% of the world’s population in 2016 will have more wealth than remaining 99% of the earth’s inhabitants.

MW-DD669_oxfam__20150119050241_MG

One thought

  1. This situation in the late 1920’s set up for the Great Depression and birthed a vital labor movement in the US. When will we in the economic majority have enough of this?

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s